Admission to the Program in American Language Studies (PALS) is open to all students who are seventeen years of age and have completed their high school education or its equivalent. All students must complete the following to be considered for admission to the PALS program.
- PALS application packet
- Pre-arrival language proficiency assessment
Pre-Arrival Language Proficiency Assessment
All incoming PALS applicants must complete an initial English language screening before being admitted to the program. The Pre-Arrival Language Proficiency Assessment includes a Skype interview and submission of English proficiency test scores if available.
To complete the Pre-Arrival Language Proficiency Assessment, please follow the following steps:
- Step 1: Complete the PALS application form and attach your English proficiency test score to the application. If you do not have a English proficiency test score, you can still appy to PALS.
Along with the application, students must submit a application fee. For students that attach a TOEFL/IELTS score, the application fee is $45. For students that do not attach a TOEFL/IELTS score, the application fee is $55.
- Step 2: Schedule a Skype interview with Assistant Director Peter Chang.
- English proficiency test scores that reach the following scores will be considered strong support for admission:
- TOEFL iBT: 55
- TOEFL ITP (paper based TOEFL) 460
- IELTS: 5.5
- Students that have TOEIC, EIKEN, TEPS or GEPT scores may submit their test scores for consideration on a case by case basis
- The TOEFL intitutional code for the Program in American Language Studies is: B154
- 50% of students attending PALS hold a TOEFL ITP score of 450 when entering the program
Students that do not receive admission to the program may not apply to be re-admitted until 6 months have passed.
Please note that separate applications are required for admission to degree programs at Rutgers University or other universities. Admission to the PALS program does not guarantee admission to a degree program at Rutgers University.
Links to Documents:
- Application Form: (2016-2017), (2017-2018)
- Financial Guarantee Form
- Payment Procedures
- Credit Card Payment Form